Re: Sometimes different network interface name?

Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> writes:

> The number in the name looks like a MAC address and its value is in the
> 'locally administered' range, i.e. not something baked into the device
> by the manufacturer.

It's an LTE device so it doesn't have a MAC address even though it
presents an ethernet-like interface. Or I guess it's the qmi-wwan driver
which does that. Random generation seems likely since the number is not
the device serial or IMEI, at least.

> Is that number always the same?

It's only happened twice so far, the other time it was wwx0a87b909a663
instead of wwx0a697e2d934f so probably random.

> I'm wondering if there is a MAC randomisation process running on you
> system (sometimes used for privacy concerns) and that randomisation
> may be during boot with different timing compared to systemd/udev
> renaming the device from wwan0.

I'd assume no, other interfaces don't seem to be affected. I definitely
didn't install anything like that so only if it's a default in Debian.