Re: trying to install bullseye for about 25th time.

I want to make a comment on this thread that is at least a little bit (maybe a
lot) off point, it is more a suggestion on what might be a better way next time
(although it could be done this time with a little work, I believe).  Because
I don't see a good place to put this comment in context, I'm deleting almost
all of the quoted material and then top posting.

I avoid /home as much as I possibly (or at least reasonably) can.  I did it
for different reasons than the reason I'm going to suggest it now, so I won't
go into those, at least for now (well, ok, basically, I got frustrated once
when I did something that I thought was innocent and wiped out all my "real
user data" (that is things like my documents, code, photos, etc.) when I did
something dumb and wiped out home.

I would suggest moving (or renaming) all of your "real user data" (for Gene
that would presumably include CNC instructions for various things he makes on
his machinery) -- put all of that in a new top level directory (mine, on
different computers are variations of /<username>nn).

Let the system use /home/<username> for whatever it wants, and don't worry
about it if it gets lost.

Doing what I describe might require some gymnastics with respect to keeping
things like mail out of /home, but I did that.  And various databases and
backups seem to get created in /home/<username>, but it seems to be stuff that
can be recreated and maybe is recreated automatically under some circumstances
if it disappears.

For Gene, he could conceivably just rename the RAID setup that he has mounted
under /home to some new top level mountpoint.  (Although he probably has some
scripts or similar stuff that looks for stuff in /home/<username> that would
need to be modifed.

FWIW