Re: got a mdadm puzzler

On Sunday, 13 March 2022 15:02:15 EDT Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 01:06:39PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday, 12 March 2022 08:50:07 EST Andy Smith wrote:
> > > I think it still might be worth changing the cable and/or moving
> > > the
> > > drive about to see if the error follows the drive or stays with the
> > > port.
>
> […]
>
> > Difficult at best. All 4 drives from the same purchase, mounted 2 to
> > the 3.5" adapter, and all 4 shoved into a front panel-less drive
> > cage below the floppy slot in a huge tower case about 17 yo. Rather
> > than blame data cables, I'd start by changing out the power splitter
> > cables, this psu doesn't have near enough sata power plugs for 7
> > drives, only 1 of which is spinning rust.

And that one quit answering the phone fron smartctl yesterday afternoon.
That was my backup src. So that cable will be hooked to a 1T SSD yet
today which will be formatted and /home copied to it as that is a huge
majority of what I need for a backup.  Thats next on the agenda before I
do anything else. If I casn get a sata power cable out, that might get
done w/o a powerdown since that seems to be the reinstall generator.
Got that done, hooked a fresh data cable up to /dev/sdc's socket on the
mobo, then carefully inserted the power plug, and /dev/sdc just reported
a temp change from smartctl's scan.

But while I was doing that, I wrote a copy of LinuxCNC's latest buster
install iso to a key, so if I can get it to boot from a key, I'll have a
buster install ready to go.

The raid10 is sde-f-g-h, and this drive I must have had it the raid
before , and is now showing up at /dev/sdd. and on further checking, I've
rebooted since disconnecting /dev/sdc, and udev has helpfully reset the
drives on damned letter down, to d-e-f-g. grrrrrrrrr. But where the hell
is it, the drive I just hooked up is marked as an EVO-870 but /dev/sdc is
an EVO-860 & 500gigs. /dev/sdb is a 240G ADATA 650, and /dev/sdc is
reporting its a EVO-860 of 500G. Obviously fdisk is getting bogus data
from some place. You'd better hope I can reboot.  But first clean up /
dev/sdb and reformat & copy /home to it so I might stand a chance of
recovering my work.

Have fun Charles cuz I sure as heck am not.

> I don't think you need to replace every cable (power and data) at
> once. If you locate which drive is on ata6 now, and move it to
> another port, then whether the error follows the drive or stays with
> the port will provide useful information.

Its in a card cage with a big fan in front and the psu blocking the rear,
It will be a powerdown to do that. But I don't have much hope, the cable
I unplugged to get it off the bus was plugged in correctly. If I can get
the power cable unplugged, then its drawer can be removed from the front.

> Just try to only change one thing at a time so if symptoms do change
> then you can tell what you did to provoke that.

That would be nice,  if the change was easy to do insitu. Its not.
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> --
> https://bitfolk.com/ -- No-nonsense VPS hosting