Re: how many W a PSU for non-gaming Debian?

Emanuel Berg writes:

Linux-Fan wrote:

> It does, see
> https://www.techporn.ph/wp-content/uploads/ASUS-ROG-Strix-B450-F-Gaming-
Benchmark-1.jpg
> which is from your reference iv and explicitly shows an AMD R5
> 2600X processor being used.

I'll subtract 65W from it then ...

> * CPU power doubled to account for short-time bursts.

Double it, that something one should do?

In Intel world, yes :) In AMD world it seems to be slightly better, cf.:
https://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph16220/119126.png

The TDP is given in the labels whereas the actual max power consumption
observed is in the diagram. It seems that for AMD systems, the most extreme
factor observed there is 143.22/105 = 1.364, so you might take that or round
up to 1.5 rather than factor 2 for AMD systems.

  Default TDP
  65W
  AMD Configurable TDP (cTDP)
  45-65W
  <https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-3200g>

> * RAM upped to 10W and SSD upped to 5W (depending on the
>   actual components, you might want to revert that but
>   computing an SSD with 3W makes your entire calculation
>   dependent on that specific model and if you upgrade that
>   later you'd have to take it into account).

I got these digits from
https://www.buildcomputers.net/power-consumption-of-pc-components.html
which is one of the first Google hits so I trust them for
now ...

The figures on that page for CPUs are misleading (they specify TDP range
which is not much related to actual power draw anymore, see linked figure
above).

The remainder of the figures seems sensible. Some GPUs are also known to
draw extreme peak loads (though usually that's only the "large" ones).

SSD highly depends on the model. No need to argue for one general figure
over the other. I think my SSD is specified 14W, but it is large and not the
"newest" :)

For RAM it seems that my figure is just a little too high and that your 3W
are more correct in modern times. Nice to know :)

As for upgrading that will be easy in this regard since I'll
read how many Watts on the box of whatever I get :)

device  model/category                     max W   note               ref
  CPU     AMD middle end, 4 cores             65     exact              [i]
  fans     80 mm (3K RPM)                      9     3*3W =  9W        [ii]
          120 mm (2K RPM)                     12     2*6W = 12W        [ii]
  GPU     geforce-gt-710                      19     exact            [iii]
  mb      Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming AM4   166.2   exact, incl CPU   [iv]
  RAM     DDR3 (1.5V)                          3     actually, a DDR4  [ii]
  SSD                                          2.8                     [ii]

total:
  (ceiling (+ 65 (* 3 3) (* 2 6) 19 (- 166.2 65) 3 2.8))          ; 212 W

with +30% wiggle room:
  (ceiling (* 1.3 (+ 65 (* 3 3) (* 2 6) 19 (- 166.2 65) 3 2.8)))  ; 276 W

IMHO this is too low a figure for the system being planned. I am pretty sure
it _will_ run on a 300W PSU, BUT probably not stable for a long time and
under high loads.

HTH
Linux-Fan

  [i] https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-3200g