Re: OFFLIST: Gnome desktop removal messed up machine

On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 10:36:23AM +0300, Anssi Saari wrote:
> Charlie <taoquester@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 	On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:44:58 -0400 Greg Informed me about Re:
> > 	OFFLIST: Gnome desktop removal messed up machine
> >
> >> And I'm using fvwm with systemd.
> >
> > +1
>
> :) Awesome Window Manager here, with systemd. I used to use fvwm for
> quite some time but fiddling with windows felt like work so after a few
> tries went with Awesome which is a tiling window manager and mostly
> decides what size windows should be.

It's fascinating how differently brains seem to be wired up. Awesome's
idea convinced me at first sight. So after my DE excursion (Gnome, then
XFCE, and deciding that no, I don't want anyone mounting my USB sticks
for me or limiting what I can do with my keyboard) I tried Awesome for
a while. I never got the hang of it.

Then I (re)discovered Fvwm.

I'm an old guy and have seen lots of things. By now, I'm convinced that
brains are "wired" in quite diverse ways [1], and that things like work
environments (programming languages being part of a work environment)
should be equally diverse.

All those "wars" in the hope that The One Right Way "wins" are tragic
wastes of time, human energy and goodwill. Perhaps they stem from former
times, of big armies or worker cohorts. I don't know.

Cheers

[1] Actually, my "hunch" (I don't dare call it a theory) is a bit
   more complex, but for a nutshell, "wired" is good enough.

 - t