Re: GRUB command-line with timeout

On Tue 13 Jul 2021 at 15:43:55 (-0400), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 11:34:48 AM David Wright wrote:
> > So on the odd occasion, you turn on the machine and, at a mininum, are
> > about to type in some commands to boot the machine manually. And then
> > you might even log in. Having to type /one/ keystroke at the start is
> > just too much.
> >
> > Is that what you're really saying?
>
> I'm not the OP, and I don't boot very often at all -- my machines run 24/7 for
> months on end, so I don't know / remember what has to be done in GRUB to get
> to the command line, but the bigger annoyance for me would be waiting for the
> right moment to press that key (if there is a time window associated with when
> you can press that key).
>
> If my machine takes 15 or more seconds to get to the point when I can press
> that single key, unless I am very careful and patient, I am likely to miss
> that window.  (Of course, I am getting older :-(

Perhaps you're confusing Grub with getting into the CMOS?

Unless you change the defaults, Grub gives you a 5-second countdown
screen, which displays the keystrokes and what they do. Any key will
stop the countdown (unless, say, you press Return which boots the
entry under the cursor). You can configure longer countdowns.

OTOH many modern screens have barely stabilised the display before
the time has expired for pressing F2/F12/whatever for the CMOS.
Hammering a key might help, but there are now modern machines where
you're meant to press two keys (like Esc F9), which is not as easy
as hammering F12 on its own.

Cheers,
David.