Fwd: Re: ASTM Lab equipment protocol

Hi

On 09/07/2021 20:43, Markos wrote:

Em 09-07-2021 10:21, Rob van der Putten escreveu:

Which Debian packages support the ASTM lab equipment (over TCP) protocol? An overview would be nice.
Please, explain with more detail, and some example, what exactly are you looking for?

The sister of a friend is a vet. She has blood analyses equipment which
sends analysis results to a serial port. Each brand and model has it's
own protocol.
Recently she acquired Skyla VB1. This device has both a serial port and
Ethernet. It sends a ^A to the serial port, expects a ^F and then sends
the data followed by a ^D, after which it expects an other ^F.
I did manage to get data from the device this way.

The device can also use the ASTM protocol. With ASTM it can also use
Ethernet. Which is more practical.
I could not find a free version of the ASTM standard. Apparently, there
is some Linux software which supports ASTM, but what I could not find is
a nice overview.

Regards,
Rob

Hi Rob,

OK. Now I understand a little bit more the situation.

You are referring to this pattern:
https://www.astm.org/Standards/E1381.htm
I didn't know this standard.

What I have seen in my experience with laboratory automation with some instruments/equipment is that each manufacturer has its own ASCII communication protocol.

Therefore, it is more viable to use some standard to specify a communication interface but without specifying the specific protocol of each equipment/instrument.

The only ASTM standard for laboratory automation with this approach (define interface) was the LECIS standard, which is now discontinued:
https://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/WITHDRAWN/E1989.htm

I discovered, a few days ago, the SiLA project to standardize automation in the laboratory:
https://sila-standard.com/

But I still don't know the details.

I have already had to implement programs for serial communication with instruments and equipment in the laboratory.

But I don't remember seeing any Debian packages related to this ASTM standard.

I've found some programs for acquisition and graphic display of data received through the serial port.

But as they didn't have all the resources I decided to develop my own programs using the Tcl/Tk language, always using Debian.

I tried to document some of these projects on my website, which might be useful.

The material is in Portuguese but it is possible to translate it with the help of Google Translator: https://tinyurl.com/46vnrp68

Email-me if you have any question.

Best Regards,
Markos