Re: make custom kernel

On Sun 04 Jul 2021 at 10:26:26 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 03 Jul 2021 at 19:53:03 (+0100), mick crane wrote:
> > I've done it before but I've forgotten and the order.
> > What's the procedure for making a custom kernel?
> > Install linux headers
> > change to a "build" directory
> > make menu-config
> > ./configure
> > make
> > make dep
> > make install
> > make clean
> > ?
>
> There used to be a kernel-package, which I used until about 15 years
> ago when the kernels got too complex for me to bother. The last
> version I've found is jessie's, and its manpages, docs and howtos may
> be worth reading through.

I used it extensively circa the same era as you. It did the job.
My recollection (not to be relied on) was that the the kernel and
initrd were not that much smaller for me to continue its use.

Anyway it is discontinued upstream, regarded as obsolete and better
options are said to exist.

> That said, if customising your kernel is for fixing your room problem,
> then I would exhaust all the other courses of action first.

Definitely. Has gparted been mentioned?

> (And I would investigate why your initrd files are /so/ large.)

You me worried, but not so much I intend to do anything about it :).
On this machine: about 6.8 M; on others 2.3 M.

__
Brian.