Re: A Proposal: Each of Online Debian Man pages could have a wiki (Main page / Talk Page, etc.) at its bottom, with only Example Code Lines ...

On 19/06/2021, Michael Grant <mgrant@grant.org> wrote:
[...]
Thank you, Mr. Grant, for posting to my thread. The link to address
your queries may please be referred to:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/06/msg00454.html,

The Drive Folder for a sample Man file and an attempt at pictorial
analysis along with visual explanations of a sample command:
https://bit.ly/Apt_readingManPages

I shall  leapfrog.

Mr. Grant says:
> It's a little odd for Debian to host a documentation wiki for upstream
> [...]
> writing it, they will need to be aware of it and if things change,
> tweak it.

Aren't the ML members aware that Debian already has a Man Wiki pages
repository? Debian Man Wiki Pages are available at:
https://manpages.debian.org/

> Wikis tend to be GUI based and man pages are text files used generally
> at the command propt ...

Debian Wikis _are_ GUI.

> I'm all for better documentation but I don't see how Debian can be the
> documentation repository for all tools that just happen to be Debian
> packages.

Okay. This point could be discussed on a separate thread.

I have a few questions:
(1)   Is uploading the Debian Man Wiki Pages at:
https://manpages.debian.org/ automated?

(2)   Aren't the posters and  senior members of the ML aware that
Debian Man Wiki pages already exist?

(3)   Don't all the programmers spend at least some time on the internet?

(4)   Don't all the programmers spend at least some time on the Debian
MLs or forums?

90% of the problem appears to have been solved here itself.

Each programmer must be using some form of codes, and they are
permanently etched on to their memory.

(5)   Can't one line of code example per day to a text file for One familiar
Command each in the same Debian Wiki repository be possible?

Now, if the offline Man Pages installed on a Debian System is uploaded
on to the Debian Wiki by some automation, then patching M (man file) +
C (Example code lines) to be a better M (Man page) shouldn't be much of an
effort.
Example:  "AptDebianManpages.png" and "Modified_AptDebianManpages.png"
at https://bit.ly/Apt_readingManPages

If the above isn't automated, then patching M(man file) + C (Example
code lines) to be a better M (Man page) would be a tiny effort per
person and one Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, and  the effort is a tiny fraction
of preparing the man pages.

[...]
>  ...                                                                            ... Not everyone is
> going to be happy with more work.  Even if they are not the ones
> writing it, they will need to be aware of it and if things change,
> tweak it. [...]

Work averse? After so much of reading, writing codes? For one line of
familiar code line per day for at most 10-12 days?

Programmers having their creations on GitHub and willing to have them
included in Debian Repo could be advised to write illustrative example
code lines on the program's Man pages.

[...]
> It feels like you should try to start a sort of "unixepedia" thing
> like wikipedia and then one by one try to get people to create pages
> for their tools.  Then, eventually people will put links into their
> man pages pointing at this global resource.  That's my best opinion
> after reading all your posts.
[...]

I am not thinking along these lines presently.

Best.
Rajib