Re: Coerce "MATE terminal" to display black on white text?

	Hi.

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 09:49:36PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 07:30:42PM -0400, songbird wrote:
> > Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > The MATE terminal "Help"(sic) claims VT102 emulation but does not say
> > > how to obtain it.
> >
> >   i'd put in my .bashrc the line:
> >
> >   TERM="vt102" && export TERM
>
> That's unwise.  It'll screw you up *hard* any time you're not using
> the terminal you normally use -- e.g. on ssh logins, or if you want to
> test another terminal, or if you use tmux or screen, etc.

In my experience, one will be screwed much more by using TERM=screen or
TERM=tmux in conjunction with ssh.
Simply because the ssh target does not necessary have an appropriate
termcap for screen or tmux (say, Solaris 10 which I have to deal on a
weekly basis, and yes, I know I can copy termcap entries there).
And if you think that Linux is somehow better here - try
TERM=screen-256color in conjunction with RHEL5 :)

On the other hand, vt102 and xterm - even HP-UX knows about them.

Reco