Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On 3/9/21 4:25 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 3:50 PM David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
wrote:

On 3/9/21 3:15 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 1:12 PM David Christensen wrote:
On 3/7/21 7:09 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 5:25 PM David Christensen <

What model mac?

It's a mac pro.

I looked around on the box and did not see any writing or engraving.

However, i was wrong about copying from the gui.  It is possible to copy
some of the identifying strings, although naturally i would prefer to use
the command line to get the info.

The model is "HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N", revision "PQ04".  It is from a long
time ago (at least 13 years old), but the machine still mostly runs fine
for what we use it for.   It is all original equipment except for the disk
drives, one of which is an SSD.  At the time i already did not like to buy
into closed technology but circumstances forced my hand, or so i thought.
For a job i had a few years ago i was issued a much newer mac, a laptop,
which was very fancy, but also had trouble with my modem router [i do not
have that laptop, so i don't know about the model].  Separating the modem
router from the box with a switch does not help, but it does work on a
separate LAN.  The ethernet hardware is identified as PCI, Intel 82574L.
There are two ports.

So the situation is not exactly ideal, but i can live with it.

And thanks for your help and ideas! :) :)

Look at:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201581

https://everymac.com/mac-identification/index-how-to-identify-my-mac.html

13+ years old -- Wikipedia says it is a first generation Mac Pro and cannot be upgraded to the current macOS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_pro

If you cannot upgrade it to the current macOS (11.2.2), I would sell it. If you need an Apple computer, get a newer one that supports the current macOS.

David