Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 08:12:47 -0500
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 09, 2021 12:12:40 AM Felix Miata wrote:
> > David Wright composed on 2021-03-08 22:37 (UTC-0600):
> > > I realise that, but if your service were to become unsatisfactory,
> > > then before you complained, you'd want to check that it's not your
> > > modem at fault. Would you expect your spare modem to work,
> > > because it has a different MAC from what's expected by the ISP's
> > > end of the line.
>
> > Whenever I get a mind to, I call my ISP, tell them I'm changing
> > modems, and what the new MAC is. It gives me some confidence it's
> > still useful. If there's a problem they or I think a modem switch
> > might shed light on, I do the same.
>
> I have DSL service, and a spare modem that I've occasionally put in
> service (for testing the "main" modem) and have not had to notify the
> ISP.  (They were both provided by the ISP (Earthlink).)
>
> I don't know if cable modems would work the same -- I don't know if
> the ISP sees the MAC address on a DSL line.

I used to change routers without telling anyone, but that was years ago.

As an anecdote, I recall a BT service/router which literally would not
work if it detected another NAT on the LAN. It was in a client's
network, and I had to reconfigure things to work without the Debian
server acting as a firewall. If it had been my network, the wretched
thing would have gone back instantly, my network runs through two NATs
and that isn't negotiable.

--
Joe