Re: How i do upgrade my operating system to Debian “buster”?

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 21:54:41 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 10 ian 21, 17:05:09, Joe wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:31:12 +0200
> > Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The install? Sure.
> > >
> > > Migrating all your configurations to the new system? Less so.
> > >

> > Not just the configurations. Installing a couple of thousand
> > packages will take some time, if you are unwilling to use a cloning
> > method.
>
> With a few notable exceptions for me it's mostly enough to replicate
> only the set of manually installed packages.
>
> Of course, on such occasions I do use the opportunity to review what
> packages I still need, which usually takes more time than the actual
> installation :D

Indeed. I'm using the cacheing method of installing what I think I
need, with the expectation of installing much more as actually required
in the future. In Debian, it's fairly trivial to install a necessary
package without holding up work for long.

> Eventually I intend to have that information in a configuration
> management system (e.g. ansible), so that getting a new system
> installed and fully configured is mostly automated.

This is the second time I've installed this instance of sid, the only
one that I currently use, in more than ten years. I don't feel it
justifies too much effort to make the process quicker.

--
Joe