Re: Instructions for command line usage of WiFi.

On Thursday 26 November 2020 18:12:20 peter@easthope.ca wrote:

> From: Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>
> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 10:42:59 +0300
>
> > No. "auto" means (taken directly from interfaces(5)):
>
> OK, thanks.  Several years since I last read the man page. Can't say
> it's inspiring prose; absolutely no offense to authors; just my honest
> impression.
>
> > The main difference between "auto" and "allow-hotplug" is, well,
> > hotplug processing. And judging from that "predictable" interface
> > name, you're using an USB dongle, so hotplug is important here.
>
> Righto.  From a naive English language perspective, hot-plug
> processing is a form of automation.  So "hot-plug" is a subset of
> "auto".  But, as you say, not really.
>
> I'll speculate that these directives came from evolution rather than
> comprehensive design. "In the beginning" there was coax Ethernet.
> When a programmer was sufficiently tired of starting links manually,
> auto was invented. Later USB came along.  When a programmer was
> sufficiently tired of raising and lowering a link, after plugging or
> unplugging an adapter, allow-hotplug was invented. With twisted pair
> I've been in the habit of "setting and forgetting" both directives.
>
> With an access point which shuts down unpredictably I've omitted both
> directives and use ifup and ifdown interactively. If review and
> overhaul of the software is announced in the next decade, that won't
> be too shocking.
>
> > The kernel has no free RAM to queue a packet or that Tp-Link device
> > you're is using low-quality kernel module. Happens with Tp-Link, but
> > there's a bright side - it could've been Broadcom.
> >
> > Try increasing a value of vm.min_free_kbytes, it may help.
>
> Righto, thanks.
>
> The TP-Link TL-WN722N adapters were recommended here a few years back.
> If someone has better advice now, I'm interested.
>
> Blue-sky idea.  FPGAs are routinely available.  Is anyone working on a
> FPGA wifi adapter?  That would eliminate the specs. mystery.

Sure it could be done, but it likely can't be if you want to seel the
product in an open market. Because it's a radio, and generally a
software radio at that, its going to be subject to the rules and
regulations governing those 2 basics which are that it can't be told to
go outside its assigned frequency range, which often varies country by
country, and it cannot be forced to generate more than its assigned by
license power level. Those requirements absolutely preclude having those
features available in open code where an intelligent hacker could make
them violate those 2 requirements.  That leaves range improvements up to
the receivers ability to pick a legit signal out of all the trash we
generate.  That is not going to change in this so-called civilization,
so get over it.  You don't have pockets deep enough to change that.

Who am I? A retired carrier of a 1st phone license since 1962, so I am
quite familiar with the law.

> Regards,                               ... P.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis