Re: An old box running Debian 8

On Ma, 17 nov 20, 09:24:05, David Wright wrote:
> On Sun 15 Nov 2020 at 10:41:55 (+0200), Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> > > That's actually what I also thought about.
> > >
> > > Btw, when you say 'installs', do you mean a fresh installation only, or it
> > > includes a 'forced' kernel update during a distribution upgrade? My old box
> > > was installed for the first time in squeeze, then upgraded to wheezy, then
> > > to jessie.
>
> By "installs with", I meant the former, ie the version supplied with
> the debian-installer. Once you're happy with that version, it's
> possible to install the newer version, leaving the old one as a
> fallback (assuming the usual things like enough room in /boot, etc).
>
> > It depends on whether you have the corresponding linux-image-<sub-arch>
> > package installed or not.
>
> I'm not sure what difference this would make. Looking at all
> the linux-image-X86* packages in stretch, they all depend on
> linux-image-4.9-* packages.

That was meant for the dist-upgrade case. Without the corresponding
linux-image-<sub-arch> meta-package the kernel will be left as is and
the user has to manually install a newer kernel from the next
distribution.

Depending on when in the release cycle the dist-upgrade is done the
newer kernel image may not even be available yet

The linux-image-<sub-arch> also depends on the default kernel for the
distribution, e.g. in case of stretch it depends on a
4.9 linux image, for a 4.19 image one has to install
linux-image-4.19-<sub-arch> (or the linux image package itself).

Kind regards,
Andrei