Re: /etc/default/grub doesn't exist, what to do?

> Please tell us the output of:
> dpkg -l | grep -i grub

Sorry for missing this. Please see below:

# dpkg -l | grep -i grub
ii grub-common 2.04-8 amd64
ii grub-efi-amd64-bin 2.04-8 amd64
ii grub-efi-amd64-signed 1+2.04+8 amd64
rc grub-imageboot 0.6 all
ii grub2-common 2.04-8 amd64

> The package grub2-common has the file:
> /usr/share/grub/default/grub
> Which is the default /etc/default/grub file

Thank you for this. I figured there was such a template file but I didn't know
where to look. It would be nice to have this added to
https://wiki.debian.org/Grub so people know how to reconstruct a fresh
template file if theirs gets destroyed (or, in my case, uninstalled)

> The actual package which creates /etc/default/grub in the d-i is
> one of grub-pc and the packages it conflicts with, viz:
> grub (<< 0.97-54), grub-coreboot, grub-efi-amd64, grub-efi-ia32,
> grub-ieee1275, grub-legacy, grub-xen

So that might be the explanation. I removed grub-efi-amd64 to install
grub-efi-amd64-signed. The latter doesn't appear to create its own
/etc/default/grub file.

Is this a bug that I should report or is this by design?

> To find out which, either look at dpkg -l or type
> $ grep -B2 'Creating config file /etc/def' /var/log/installer/syslog
> if you're a member of group adm.

I think this file has long since been deleted. I think I installed Debian on
this machine when I got it over 2 years ago.