Re: Remove undesired entries in MATE "Applications" sub-menus

Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 07/04/2020 07:38 AM, nito@dismail.de wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 06:53:56 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> I'm using Debian10 with the MATE desktop.
>>> The Debian installer defaults to installing a mess of applications I rarely
>>> want. They end up with entries on MATE's Applications sub-menus.
>>>
>>> Without deleting the offending applications from the system, how can I
>>> delete those menu entries and replace them with links to suitable
>>> applications.
>>
>> MATE has graphical editor for this. If not already installed, the package
>> is named "mozo" as is the tool itself.
>
> How would one discover that? I've silently been grumbling about the
> problem since Debian first had MATE as a default option.

  reading the website, following links:

  https://mate-desktop.org/
  https://github.com/mate-desktop/

> When today's web search turned up nothing I was both frustrated enough
> and in enough need to post.
>
>> Otherwise you could try to edit the relevant .desktop files manually.
>
> Where are they? How would I even know they existed?
> I installed "mozo" and the "go to system, preferences, look and feel,
> main menu" to which Peter Ehlert referred magically appeared.

  usually reading source code can give some information.
also looking at the list of files a package installs can
be interesting.

apt-file list mozo

  songbird