Re: Question for users of Thunderbird on buster

On 6/10/20 1:10 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
As far as I can tell, no one else using other OSes seems to be having this
problem, so maybe it's a Thunderbird-on-buster issue that needs to be reported
somewhere. Or maybe it's just my system for some obscure reason

So, with current buster, the installed version of Thunderbird is 68.8.0.

I have Thunderbird configured to generate ordinary plain-text e-mails (like
this one).

When composing an e-mail, something (and I assume it's Thunderbird because I
can't guess what else might do this) is attempting to be "intelligent" and is
interpreting sequences of characters instead of just leaving them alone when
they are displayed.

For example:
   if I type the "-" character twice in a row, Thunderbird displays only one,
even though both characters are present in the text
   if I type the "<" character twice in a row, Thunderbird converts the two
"less than" characters into a single "much less than" character when it
displays them, even though the text actually contains the two "<" characters

So on the next line I type the "-" character twice:
  --
and on the next line I type the "<" character twice:
  <<

Are other people seeing the same behaviour?

   Doc

PS I have tried turning off all add-ons and restarting Thunderbird, but it
made no difference.

Hello,
I am using the same version of Thunderbird on Jessie. The problems you mention don't happen here. However, the mouse scroll wheel doesn't work in the list of messages. It stopped working several versions ago.
Best regards,
Fred