Re: Debian man pages have annoying feature(sic)

On Tue 02 Jun 2020 at 06:13:00 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 05/30/2020 04:05 PM, David Wright wrote:

> > > Yes. A "webby" solution can have two benefits in my environment:
> > >    a. may minimize download downloaded byte count.
> > >    b. following intervening links and cross references can lead to
> > >       answering important un-asked questions.
> >
> > For man pages, I type   man foo   into google. That usually throws
> > up one or two links from different sources.
> > [snip]
>
> You missed my point entirely. I have accessed the man page via
> https://manpages.debian.org/ . It lacks information *CRITICAL* to whether or
> not to install the package. It skirts the issue by referring to a file which
> will exist, *if and only if*, the package has already been installed. I.E.
> classical infinite loop ;}

'apt download <package>' has been mentioned a few times. The package
may be opened and the contents of /usr/share/doc/<package> viewed.
This takes all of two minutes. Is there something lacking in this
technique? Too simple and straightforward, perhaps?

--
Brian