Re: x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

On 2020-04-06, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is getting well beyond Debian, but why would GNU/Linux in general have
>> so many overlapping ways to register default applications?
>
> Probably a case of competing standards.

Seems more like the distinction between a user-defined preference
(*Preferred Applications* button in the Xfce Settings Manager) and a
system-wide default (/etc/alternatives being designed for the case where
the user has failed to specify a particular preference among two or
more alternatives). That rclone would privilege the former over the
latter seems completely reasonable to me.