Partition unreadable [was: Re: Debian Stretch broken !]

On Sb, 04 apr 20, 01:13:35, Bernard wrote:

> Next I typed 'journalctl -xb' to view system logs : a dozen of pages which I
> will shoot later, one thing I have noticed in it all, printed in red
> characters :
>
> EXT4-fs (sda2): unable to read superblock
>
> this repeated three times !

This *could* indicate a serious problem and attempts to fix it *could*
make it worse. It could also be a minor issue that is easily fixed.

Do you have an *empty* spare drive to copy your data to? Ideally you
should use 'dd' to take a complete image of sda and work on that
instead.

    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/<spare drive> bs=1M status=progress

Warning: this will overwrite your data on the spare drive!

For this to work properly the spare drive should be same size (to the
byte!) or bigger than sda.

Before any recovery attempts let's try to find out how your drives are
partitioned.

Please post the output of following commands from the rescue console.

LANG=C lsblk -f
LANG=C fdisk -l

These are read-only commands so should be safe.

Kind regards,
Andrei