Re: What's the purpose of initrd.img{,.old} and vmlinuz{,.old} symlinks in the root dir?

On 3/1/20, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun 01 Mar 2020 at 08:41:09 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>

>> Grub does not like symlinks to un-versioned kernel and initrd in /boot/.
>
> I am probably missing your point but I have just booted successfully
> with:
>
> root='hd1,msdos5'
> linux /vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sdb5
> initrd /initrd.img.old

My brain interpreted it to mean something like....

/boot/vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-x-amd64

Having said that AND it written out to explain where MY brain went:
Maybe any reported fail is somehow tied to the missing slash (or when
it's in place, instead)...

*IF* this is even the scenario that was originally referenced.

When it's under "/" root/, I like the missing slash. I think I wrote a
while back that I've had symlinks that point to
"/boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-x-amd64" take me to the [HOST] computer's /boot
directory, NOT the [guest] in chroot. I only discovered that
accidentally one time when I had to run "ls -ld" on vmlinuz and
initrd.img for some long forgotten reason... or another.

DISCLAIMER It's possible it had something to do with how I was
mounting chroot's fstab when I first started doing debootstrap
installs..

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey