Re: Ansible recommendations?

Tom Browder wrote:
> I'm considering using Ansible (from Debian packages) for maintaining
> multiple remote Debian servers. The master server will be my Debian laptop.

If you have a few, mostly different servers, Ansible is a
reasonable choice.

If you have flocks of nearly identical servers in several
flavors, you want Puppet or Chef or something similar.

Puppet has its own language for configuration.

Chef uses Ruby for its configuration language.

Both take the approach that a long-running client on each
machine will periodically reach out to your central config
server and get an updated set of instructions, then execute
those instructions. That's a pull mechanism.

Ansible, on the other hand, relies on your laptop to reach out
to the client machines and do things to them. That's a push
mechanism.

-dsr-