Re: cron error - date command

On Sun 02 Feb 2020 at 17:32:59 (+1100), Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> On 2/2/20 5:22 am, songbird wrote:
> >    it looks questionable to me just in that you
> > may be writing to that file at the same time as
> > you when you're doing something else that is also
> > trying to write to that file.

[…]

> I am simply trying to keep tack of what time I am doing stuff, and
> putting the time between the commands does that how I like it. Hope I
> don't prove your concerns correct.   I will own up IF I notice
> anything, though.

Isn't this all built into the shell already?

    If the HISTTIMEFORMAT variable is set, the time stamp information
    associated with each history entry is written to the history file,
    marked with the history comment character.  When the history file
    is read, lines  beginning  with  the  history  comment  character
    followed immediately by a digit are interpreted as timestamps for
    the following history entry.

Cheers,
David.