Re: web server for development

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 04:52:36PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> For shared hosting, Hostgator offers:
>
> (1) SFTP (SSH FTP, port 22)
> (2) FTPS (FTP over SSL or TLS, port 21)
> (3) SSH (ssh -p 2222 cpanelusr@ip.add.re.ss)

OK, that's quite reasonable.

> Searching packages in the Debian 9 (Stretch) archive, it appears to me
> that the only command-line FPT clients capable of SFTP are lftp and
> ftp, but I do not know how to determine whether lftp has been compiled
> with SSH capability.

There's also sftp.  It's in the openssh-client package.

> I am familiar with SSH and with RSYNC, but I have not yet used RSYNC
> over SSH.

Try it, see if it works.

> Also, even if I upload via RSYNC over SSL, there is need for something
> similar to FTP for browsing the directory structure.  What is the
> solution to that need?

sftp.  Or any of the graphical SFTP clients if you're a Windows person.
Or mounting the directory using sshfs (which is an SFTP client) and
then using your local file management tools.

Or just logging in with ssh and using ls, if you get a reasonable shell
on the remote system.