Re: apple mini

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020, at 6:57 PM, ghe wrote:

> > On Jan 8, 2020, at 07:46 PM, Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> >> If you need to protect against an attacker willing to examine your HDD with magnetic force microscopy, there is no substitute for physical destruction of the media.
> >
> > Yes--if single-pass all-zeros erase isn't sufficient, the next step up is physical destruction, not multi-pass pattern mumbo-jumbo.
>
> Back in the analog days, I worked at a college radio station that sent
> out radio programs on tape. There was a big box that we passed a reel
> of tape over to erase it. That box might do disks too :-)
>
> Unless there was some magnetic magic written on the disk for the firmware.
>
> --
> Glenn English

Yup!  Disk drives need (at least) some pre-formatting information on the media so the drive firmware can tell if it's on the right track.  In the old days, you could re-write that information by "formatting" the disk.  But these days that's all done at the factory and they don't want the consumer to even know about the existence of such things.

Bottom line:  If you tried the "big electromagnet" trick with a modern disk drive, you would render it useless.  I doubt that's what the OP wanted.

Rick