Re: Booting Debian freezes on “[OK] Started GNOME Display Manager”

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 04:07:45PM +0300, Billy Andriamahazomandimby wrote:
> Dear Debian Help,
> Firstly, it is a pleasure to have an opportunity to write you this Email.
> As a follow up of my Email from yesterday, I would like to send you
> additional details regarding my problem in which I cannot get Debian to
> boot properly.
> My Laptop Brand and Model:
> Lenovo ideapad 330-15ARR
> BIOS Version: 7VCN46WW
> EC Version: 7VEC46WW
> MTM 81D200AQTX
> Lenovo SN (the serial number)
> UUID Number (UUID number)
> CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
> System Memory: 8192 MB
> Hard Disk: ST1000LM035-1RK172
> ODD PLDS DVD-RW DA9AESH
>
> I also directly asked a question on unix.stackexchange.com
> <https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/556619/booting-debian-freezes-on-ok-started-gnome-display-manager>
> concerning
> the issue so that you can clearly look at it in case that you need
> additional information.

I wonder if that AMD GPU requires firmware for graphical mode to work.
I see some reports of getting a blank screen if trying to start X without
firmware loaded for some of the RX Vega chips.

This might help: https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

--
Len Sorensen