Re: Buster's Strange Behaviour Purging Firefox-esr

On Vi, 02 aug 19, 21:36:17, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Hi! All --
>
> Installed Buster (netinstall CD, LXDE desktop ONLY, system-utils) in
> Virtualbox 6.0 on Stretch (sysvinit as init) host to test and evaluate.
> Firefox-esr, of course, installed by default, but after installing
> Google Chrome didn't need it anymore, so . . .  When I apt purge
> firefox-esr, it was removed and epiphany-browser was installed its
> place. ??? Strange. Never had that happen before.  When I purged or
> removed epiphany-browser, firefox-esr was reinstalled in ITS place.
>
> If I PINned both not to install, a lot of other files were installed
> instead like verious ruby files, zip, vlc, etc. etc.  List is way too
> long to post here.
>
> Never, ever had this happen and I purged firefox-esr this way from both
> Wheezy and Stretch.  It purged as it should have been with nothing
> added.
>
> Anyone got any ideas why this happened?  Or is this a nasty, ol' bug?

The package firefox-esr has:

Provides: gnome-www-browser, www-browser

which are "virtual packages" used in dependencies of other package to
express they need a functionality, but don't care about the specific
implementation.

Most likely something in your system depends on one or both virtual
packages, so apt is installing another package providing the virtual
package to satisfy the dependency.

The alternative would be to remove large portions of your system.

Hope this explains,
Andrei