Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Friday 05 July 2019 02:56:39 Reco wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 09:42:11PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> Oh, it seems that I've touched a nerve. My apologies just in case.

> > > As always, all generalizations suck. Some do avahi, others don't
> > > (full disclosure: I am in the "don't" camp, as many may have
> > > guessed :-)
> >
> > If nobody objects I would like to reword that statement. Many, many
> > users will have avahi-daemon on their systems; a few won't.
>
> [1] says that half of the Debian users participating in popcon have
> avahi-daemon installed. Your assertion that "don't camp" is a minority
> is off. That's a first.
>
> Second, contrary to the popular thinking here, the world does not
> start and does not end with GNOME and x86 along with the CUPS
> installed. And while avahi enhances CUPS' usability indeed, it has
> little usefulness otherwise.

I have a networkable printer. Avahi has not in a decade or more ever
found anything usefull. I've been trying to see it do something usefull,
but it hasn't been anything but an excedrin headache here.  If it ever
had a legit use, I've not observed it do anything but break networking
by feeding bogus info into the system.  That its very good at.

> Third, whatever good avahi does is limited to a single L2 network
> segment by the very definition of how it works. This particular
> problem shows it BTW.
>
> > The idea
> > that
> >
> >   > Not installing this software in the first place works even
> >   > better.
> >
> > requires clarification.
>
> Easy. You don't understand what the software does (Gene's here), or
> you don't need its functions (I'm here) - you just do not install it.
> You don't fight with it, you don't try to "disable" it in myriad ways,
> and you do not build assorted kludges alongside of it - you do not
> install it, simple as that.

Its not quite that simple on the arm's. You do the install there by
dd'ing the complete filesystem image to the boot media, usually a u-sd,
so you get that crap regardless and must physically remove it before a
staticly defined, hosts file based network that has not had a
functioning dhcpd server even in my original 1998 install of red hat 5.0
will work.

> [1] https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=avahi
>
> Reco

Cheers, Gene Heskett