Re: date(1) in stretch and buster

On Tue 09 Apr 2019 at 20:07:37 (-0000), Curt wrote:
> On 2019-04-09, Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > The output may differ depending on you operating system level,
> > given Reco's observations.  Feel free to have à look at
> > /usr/share/zoneinfo/, to have an idea of the available
> > locations.
>
> I took a look.
>
> I was confused to note the presence of the UCT zone. UCT? Shouldn't that
> be UTC?  But the latter zone proves to be a symlink to the former.

I imagine it gets called Universal Coordinated Time (whereas I always
pronounce it "you-tee-see"). My rationalisation would be that it's
Coordinated Time (so was GMT) that has been agreed as Universal.
If it was already Universal Time, it wouldn't need to be Coordinated.
So I prefer it to Wiki's Coordinated Universal Time. Anyway, cut time
is a musical concept. UTC is of course a French acronym.

But I don't have symlinks: they're separate files, thus preserving the
name of the zone for those who still use it. I think that officially
it has migrated to the fictitous continent of landfill called "Etc".

> Then there's the GMT0, GMT-0, and GMT+0 zones, all symlinks to plain old
> venerable GMT, which kind of makes sense, I guess, zero being what it is.

Yes, and a load of GMT+x stuff which suffers the same way as UTC+x:
you end up with the name GMT applied to times that aren't GMT.

> Anyway, it's getting late.

Not here: it's barely teatime.

Cheers,
David.