Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On Fri 05 Apr 2019 at 14:21:21 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 05 April 2019 11:05:00 Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Indeed, and running the UI toolkit code as root was always considered
> > a bad design pattern, even whilst it works under X.
>
> But thats no longer possible with X, root cannot use the users display.
>
> And for me, the only user on this multiple machine network, that is a
> major PITA because of the extremely inconsistent workaround's.
>
> Give us a method to su or sudo root, and run the stuff needing root, at
> least a consistent procedure thats good for all releases. Changing it
> around makes applying the same user package update to every machine a
> different operation. LinuxCNC is updated in master at least 2x a week
> sometimes daily as a new feature gets added and needs debugged. So even
> if wheezy is dead, synaptic gets run quite frequently to keep that up to
> date. The jessie install on the pi for instance won't let me run
> synaptic from anyplace but its own keyboard. Anyplace else, and ssh'd
> in, I have to sudo apt etc.
>
> Consistency is the magic word, and we don't have it.

I don't understand how you can expect consistency in an OS that
supports ~10 architectures and four releases, written over a period
of, say, six years or more. Particularly considering that it's
not possible to revise the earlier releases to take account of
changes forced by the evolution of software external to the project
and by increasing security exigencies.

You can hide any differences in how you obtain root by just wrapping
your command in a script, appropriate for each architecture/release.
Just one script to maintain if you use case or if/else.

(BTW It beats me why you need the functionality of synaptic to keep
a wheezy system going. What do you do with it beyond the equivalent
of running apt-get update/upgrade?)

Cheers,
David.