Re: C, automake, testing change for compiling old c program

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,

  hello,  :)

> songbird's autotools wrote:

             ^^^^^^^^^

     *snicker*

>> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: see the Autoconf documentation
>> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be
>
> According to
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.64/html_node/Present-But-Cannot-Be-Compiled.html
> you will have to find out where your auto-empire (starting at your
> configure.ac) has a test which matches this grep expression:
>
>   AC_CHECK_HEADER[S]*(.*sys/ioctl.h.*
>
> and either fix it by giving the necessary helper headers or by just
> throwing it out.
>
> The helper headers would have to be determined by try and error and
> then included in the fourth argument code snippet like "number.h" in
> the autoconf documentation example.
>
> Throwing out the test might suppress early failure on systems which have
> no sys/ioctl.h or might prevent workarounds if it is missing. This depends
> much on the second and third argument of the macro: [action-if-found],
> [action-if-not-found].
> See also
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.64/html_node/Generic-Headers.html#Generic-Headers
> A quick look into my own code shows that i happily include <sys/ioctl.h>
> but never check for its existence. Works on all contemporary Unixes and
> with Cygwin.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

  i tried removing the check for the autotools and then
purged all the i386 stuff that multiarch added to see if
it would compile anyways.

  no, it would not.

  but at least i could get it to compile the other way
so thanks for looking into it.

  i did look around on-line before asking, and did try
a few of the suggestions, but none of them dealt with
multiarch.

  thanks again,

  songbird