Re: Setting up a chroot on a Jessie system to compile a program using sid

On 12/7/18 7:36 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
This is sort of a continuation of the thread started with the post
"Recommendation for Virtual Machine and Instructions to set it up?"

(https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/12/msg00144.html)

Aside: the programmer has been able to send me a binary which does work on my
Jessie system, but, never-the-less, I plan to start experimenting with either
a chroot or VM environment to run either sid or a recent Ubuntu release so
that I can compile / build the binary myself.

The machine I want to do this on does not have any unallocated partitions /
disk space.  There are two partitions, currently used for other purposes, that
I could free up to use for the chroot (or, later, VM) by moving files around.

The Question:

One of the partitions I could free up is 16 GB, the other is 54 GB -- I'd
rather free up and use the smaller one, but I'm wondering if that will be big
enough?

To obtain consistent results when compiling software by multiple people on multiple computers with multiple operating system distributions/ flavors/ variants, I would suggest starting with a platform configuration management tool:

https://www.upguard.com/articles/the-7-configuration-management-tools-you-need-to-know

And then put your build system on top of that.

I would suggest putting your development jails, containers, VM's, bootable images, whatever, on a separate disk.

David