Re: Non-GUI Arduino IDE ?

On 12/7/18, Jason <electron@emypeople.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a console based Arduino IDE available for
> Debian? I am interested in making a portable programmer that could be
> taken out on a job to edit and upload Arduino programs on site, without
> messing with a mouse.

My apologies if this is just noise. This is out of my realm of
experience, BUT "apt-cache search" shared:

arduino-mk - Program your Arduino from the command line

Its description (from "apt-cache show"):

"Full-screen character mode text editor :: THE (The Hessling Editor)
is a text editor that uses both command line commands and key bindings
to operate. It is intended to be similar to the VM/CMS System Product
Editor, XEDIT and to KEDIT from Mansfield Software."

I reread your request then reran the search with "arduino ide". That
landed these:

arduino - AVR development board IDE and built-in libraries
junior-programming - Debian Jr. programming
flashrom - Identify, read, write, erase, and verify BIOS/ROM/flash chips
libmosquitto1 - MQTT version 3.1/3.1.1 client library
libmosquittopp1 - MQTT version 3.1/3.1.1 client C++ library
mosquitto - MQTT version 3.1/3.1.1 compatible message broker
mosquitto-clients - Mosquitto command line MQTT clients

DISCLAIMER: That doesn't mean those necessarily fit the "IDE" part of
your need, though. The way "apt-cache search" works, those could
possibly only include words that contain "ide" as part of their
spelling. It's a trade-off for having a feature that sure pulls up a
lot of handy information on occasion.

A slight variation using "arduino cli" received:

arduino-core - Code, examples, and libraries for the Arduino platform
arduino-mk - Program your Arduino from the command line
libmosquitto1 - MQTT version 3.1/3.1.1 client library
libmosquittopp1 - MQTT version 3.1/3.1.1 client C++ library
mosquitto-clients - Mosquitto command line MQTT clients

Hope that helps lead to something else if none of it is quite
appropriate. That arduino-mk description is creating a visual image of
elinks' format for me.

PS I'm going to take a peek at that junior-programming option. Its
description makes it sound like it just might communicate at about the
speed of my brain these days. Highlighting it in case someone might
want to test drive it with actual kids. :D

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *