Re: Raid 0

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 01:49:32PM +0000, Finariu Florin wrote:
>     Hi,
>    Somebody can help me with some information about why I can not see the
>    Raid0 created in bios?
>    I have a motherboard EPC602D8A with 2 chipsets: Intel C602 (Sata 2 x 4,
>    Sata 3 x 2) and Marvell SE9172 (Sata 3 x 2). I create in BIOS a Raid0 on
>    Marvel and another Raid0 on Intel C602.
>    When I start installation of OS in the section 'detect disk' it's show me
>    nothing ask me to verify if the SSDs are connected. When I install OS with
>    no Raid partition it see all SSDs I have plugged. I verified all SSDs one
>    by one all cables too but nothing...
>    So how can I see the Raids created in Bios? Is something else should I do
>    to be able to see them? I tried on RedHat, Fedora, CentOS, Kubuntu but the
>    same thing!
>    So if you have informations about this please help me !
>    Thank you!

You probably need a special driver.  BIOS RAID is not real RAID; it
falls under the category of "fake RAID."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#FAKE

Essentially, a BIOS RAID is really a crappy software RAID implementation
hosted on a chip.  It is the worst of everything.

If you need true RAID, then get a real RAID card (and be prepared to pay
a decent amount).  If you do not need real RAID, then setup your RAID as
a pure software RAID managed from within Linux.

If you use the BIOS fake RAID and your motherboard fails, there is a
good possibility that you will not be able to to recover the data from
your disks without another identical or nearly identical motherboard to
which you can connect the drives.  Linux software RAID, on the other
hand, lets you plug the disks into any machine running Linux and assemle
the array.

Regards,

-Roberto

--