Re: Sound suddenly not working.

On 11/3/18 12:24 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:

On 11/3/18 1:09 PM, Default User wrote:
Hi.

Running Debian, 64-bit Unstable, Cinnamon DE, on laptop.

Not very knowledgeable about sound stuff.

Sound okay last night.

Today did updates, no sound at all. (When in doubt, blame updates.)

Cinnamon sound settings applet shows "Dummy Output" as only output device, instead of "Speakers" as previously.

What to check?

  Same here. Running Mate on Sid. I noticed libasound2 and libasound2-data were both upgraded yesterday and then my problem started. Maybe bug-filing time ??

I have this issue on my Sid box. Turns out that on boot-up, Timidity takes over the sound device at a lower level that the rest of the audio-aware parts of my system, which prevents sharing the device with those parts.

I don't remember how I discovered this - some command like "fuser -v /dev/snd/*" probably, and I still haven't *fixed* it, but I work around it my just grepping for Timidity in a "ps ax" command and then killing the resulting Timidity processes. This wouldn't work if I needed Timidity, in which case I'd need to find a real fix, but this suffices for my needs for now.

May not have any relevance for y'all, though. But then again, maybe.

--

Kent