Re: Slow firefox and high cpu usage

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 21:59:00 +0200
Pétùr <peturvilj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 09/10/2018 à 02:04, Patrick Bartek a écrit :
> > First, Firefox is using 50% of your RAM.  That's way too much unless
> > you have very little RAM to begin with.  How much total RAM do you
> > have? My system has 8GB. Firefox Quantum only shows on average 3 to
> > 4% RAM usage even when streaming a video.
>

> I have 8GB of RAM.

Then lack of RAM is not the problem . . .

> > Also, check what those three "web contents" are.  I'm think THEY
> > are the cause of Firefox's slowness.  As I don't know what they
> > are, I can't hazard a guess as to what's causing the high CPU
> > usage.  The only time I've seen something like this is when an app
> > has crashed into an infinite loop of some sort.  "Kill" those one
> > at a time and see what happens to Firefox's CPU usage. Also, clear
> > you cache.  Check to see if files are being written continuously to
> > your hard drive.
>
> I think also these "web content" threads are the causes of my
> problem. But they appears even if I disable all modules.

Based on other responses, we know what "web content" in Top
constitutes. I wish they would have unique names instead of just "web
content."  Would make things easier.  Someone said your slowness
problems is caused by library, etc. incompatibility.  I was
wondering . . .

You said you're running Firefox 62.0.3, IIRC. Did you install this
from Sid's repo or download directly from Mozilla?  I downloaded
Firefox Quantum 62.0.3 from Mozilla (tar.gz file) and installed it
manually.  Quantum isn't in the Stretch repo.  I just copied the
entire firefox directory to /opt.  (FYI: I run only Openbox with a
single LXPanel with menu.)  If you haven't done this, maybe, give it a
try. The binary has to be very generic as it's designed to run on
various versions of Linux not just Debian. Maybe, it will be more
compatible.