Re: What time is it, really?

On 2018-08-09 11:54 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 04:15:36PM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > Additionally, from
> > http://doc.ntp.org/current-stable/ntpq.html#rv (rv allows
> > one to read the offset for a particular association
> > directly), "Note that time values are represented in
> > milliseconds and frequency values in parts-per-million
> > (PPM)."
>
> [...] So, since all of this documentation is not very
> user-friendly, I rely on word of mouth to tell people, "Hey,
> see this offset field? It's milliseconds, not seconds."

At times, it's hard to make sense of the collective behaviour of
people.

90% of the population seem to think that any software that
requires reading one line of documentation is worthless.

Then there's those who defend poorly documented software,
insisting that "it's all in there", provided you spend a few
hours or days memorising every text file in the package,
including the source. After which, anyone who's not a moron
would know the answer to their question simply by putting
together one sentence from the man page with the twelfth item in
the FAQ and the entry for version 1.6.9 in the what's-new file.

Is there no middle ground at all ? Are we condemned to choose
between two forms of insanity ?

Sorry, pet peeve. Nothing personal.

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
I trust bugs.debian.org to not publish my email address for