Re: terminal will not wak after hibernation

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 11:24:59 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 07, 2018 at 09:45:25AM -0400, Dave wrote:
> > I wanted to know if this hibernation / waking issue can be solved
> > by using more compatable motherboards, hardware, ect ... or is this
> > issue prevelant regardless of the hardware and bios being used ?
>
> It's a specific combination of motherboard, motherboard BIOS,
> video card, and video driver.
>
> Unfortunately there are several such combinations, and new ones
> occasionally appear.
>
> The majority of machines can do suspend-to-RAM and/or
> suspend-to-disk and wake up smoothly afterwards.

I'll take your word for it. I've never seen such a combination. I give
suspend a try on my Gigabyte/AMD sid machine now and then, but it seems
to work for no more than two weeks in any year. Currently it is
leaving orphaned inodes, so I'm not experimenting too much.

Years ago, I used to spend time fixing it, but after a while I realised
it would only break again a month later, so I've stopped bothering.
I've yet to see a laptop/netbook screen backlight come on again after
suspend...

--
Joe