Re: Strange LAN IP Address.

On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 03:17:27PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
<snip>
> When I ran ifconfig on the Linux platform it showed the unet
> connection to be 162.237.98.238!!?????  The LAN modem employs DCHP
> set with allowed IP range as 192.168.1.64 through 192.168.1.253,
> which was set by the T&T installer when we switched to a fiber optic
> network.
>
> Further examination of the modem settings showed IP Passthrough
> status as on (Public IP Address), which was, in fact the IP.

    ATT tech support demonstrated to me that they can change the
settings remotely.
    If they can so can some one else.

> I spent 40 minutes, on hold for 28 of those minutes, with an AT&T
> UVVerse technical (????) person without hearing any reasons why the
> IP was what it was.

    When I signed up with ATT Uverse I accumulated hours on the phone
trying to get email out through their server. I gave up and used my
dialup account.
    Their tech support -- isn't. Many of those people didn't grow up
with computers and have no idea what goes on under the hood. Even when
you get someone in Dallas rather than Manila answers and understanding
can be lacking.

    Should anyone reading this know hjow to get exim4 to connect to
outbound.att.net I'd love to hear about it.

Mike
--
Where man is there will be trouble to the end of time,
if not of one sort, then of another."