Re: Is apt-get dist-upgrade worth the hassle?

On Sun 01 Jul 2018 at 13:17:47 (-0700), Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> I've been banging my head against the wall trying to compile OpenSSL
> clients on my Jessie laptop (see my recent posting titled "Can't
> link to OpenSSL on my laptop).  I've decided to upgrade it to
> Stretch like my desktop machine, which compiles these programs
> successfully.  However, "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" shows the
> message:
>
> E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/.
>
> apt-get autoclean doesn't help; neither does apt-get clean.  When I
> tried apt-get autoremove, the upgrade started, but at 99% completion
> it threw the message:
>
> Error writing to output file - write (28: No space left on device)
>
> Sure enough, / is full, with all the fun that that entails.

It's worth knowing where the problem lies. I would type

du -sh /[a-ln-z]*/ 2>/dev/null

(I dodge m because /media has loads mounted under it; null
avoids permissions clutter if you do this as a user.)

Then you can refine it depending what you find:

du -sh /var/*/ 2>/dev/null

> Is Jessie's default partitioning insufficient for Stretch, or have I
> somehow filled up / with extraneous junk?  Would I be better off
> backing up /home, wiping the disk (e.g. with cfdisk) and starting
> from scratch?  (Probably - I should probably split /var into a
> separate partition anyway.)

A separate /home is more useful as it allows a fresh installation
of the / partition that doesn't touch it.

> After this experience, I'm gun-shy about upgrading a system in place.

Why? If you find the cause, you can fix it. Upgrades are careful
about preserving the system's integrity to run.

> BTW is it ok to sudo apt-get, or should I su root and run it from an
> actual root prompt?

Cheers,
David.