Re: is this drive dying?

On Sunday 15 April 2018 10:03:15 Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 03:59:20 -0400 Gene Heskett said:
> > If you mean the hot red, I suspect it is. But I've not had that box
> > off the shelf in 2 or 3 years so its the likely suspect until
> > smartctl gives me a full report.
>
> Oh yes! I find "smartctl --is-it-red" option particularly handy in
> such circumstances. :)
>
> Joke aside,
>
> > Apr 14 07:54:58 shop kernel: [1221665.148403] ata1.00: irq_stat
> > 0x08000000, interface fatal error Apr 14 07:54:58 shop kernel:
> > [1221665.148412] ata1: SError: { UnrecovData Handshk }
>
> already gives a cue about the kind of error: interface, handshake
>
> I'd say it looks like a cabling issue (wrong, gone bad, unseated,
> parasitic dust, etc.)
>
> Regards

The first time it went ro, it was so fast the log didn't get written.
This time I was lucky.

The long test was good fwtw. The only notable odd reading was head flying
hours, which should be close to spinning hours, but in both instances
must have been a 512 bit value pulled out of thin air. Buggy firmware? I
don't recall ever taking that model to seagates site to see if there was
an updated version.

If I buy a drive from staples/newegg etc, thats the first thing I do,
they buy theirs so early in a production run that they are buggier than
10 day old roadkill in late August.

The rest of you may want to keep that little tidbit in mind.

One such 1T drive I put in for virtual tapes for amanda, several years
ago now, the 3rd 1T I have in this machine, had about 5000 hours on it
by the time I ran smartctl on it and found it already had re-allocated
25 sectors. I updated its firmware, and today that drive has 71815
spinning hours on it and still shows that same 25 re-allocated sectors.
It gained about 30megs a second r/w speeds at the same time.

That is worthwhile to do.

Regards back at you, Abdullah Ramazanoglu

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)