Re: libgparted bug.

On Sun 11 Feb 2018 at 11:08:23 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 11 February 2018 10:19:16 David Wright wrote:
[…]
> > On Sun 11 Feb 2018 at 00:01:26 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > I don't believe usbmount did this one, 60-persistent-storage.rule I
> > > think did this one as I only kill sdd, and the phone, if the card
> > > reader (sdd) is plugged in would have made the phone be sdf.
> > >
> > > Just so we're on the same page, David. :)

The point is: we're not.

> > Well I'd be interested to know which line in
> > 60-persistent-storage.rules does anything much, other than juggle with
> > names etc in its realm: /dev. I think it's more likely that some other
> > subsystem is watching out for what udev does, and then acting on the
> > information that it returns. There's also the possibility that
> > something has inserted a >60 rule (99?) into /{etc,lib}/udev/.
> > Otherwise, look to your DE configuration.
> >
> > The problem with your messing about in udev's rules is that you don't
> > know what other subsystems are relying on its efficacy.
[…]
> I am running out of patience with your attitude David. If I want to bring
> a sd card that boots a rock64 in here to a nice comfy chair, […] the
> last thing I need is some automount utility

Agreed—and you wrote "despite my emasculation of udev, disabling sdd,
according to the syslog, usbmount is still auto mounting these cards".

Hence my abrupt comment "Oh my, what did you expect?" and the rather
obvious point that usbmount advertises itself as an automounter.

Then you denied that usbmount was installed: "No such critter on this
wheezy box." Hence my "This is getting silly."

Then, having admitted that you do have it installed, you now blamed it
or udev for doing something on your Desktop, which they probably know
nothing about; udev is operating only just above the kernel.

So at this point I pointed out that it might not be wise to fiddle
about with udev's files too much because rather a lot of subsystems
may rely on its working properly.

> The real problem is of coarse that there has not ever been 2 identical sd
> cards made, […]

and that is the problem that Thomas has been helping you with, in a
far better way than I ever could.

> So if you cannot contribute something helpfull David, and its extremely
> obvious to me that YOU do NOT understand the problem, then just quit
> trying to confuse the issue, and the rest of this lists readers.

If I have an attitude, it's this. The list's readers will be familiar
with the fact that you often seem to run into problems where others
find no difficulty. Often, you post some of the actions to take in
trying to fix such problems. Ofttimes again, these steps appear to be
fighting the system rather than working with it.

What I saw here was you cudgelling udev when something else was to blame.
The persistent-storage rules are meant to allow the system to recognise
what device changes are taking place so that it can assign the right
names both for you and for subsystems further up the chain.

My goal was to help steer you in the direction of what might be causing
your specific automounting problem so that you might reach a better
solution without breaking other things.

In the meantime, I can't just post an easy fix because, again as we
all know, you run a mixture of systems of different ages, much of it
oldoldstable, on different architectures, and with kernels that are
not even Debian's. Add to all that the fact that I don't have any
experience of configuring DEs because I've only briefly seen them
when I have booted from a live stick, so I can only try and ask
Socratic questions that might suggest where you could look.

And, because this is just a list, you can always ignore any
suggestions I make.

Cheers,
David.