Re: Network config

Le 03/08/2017 à 15:52, Zenaan Harkness a écrit :
On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 08:53:27AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
But the problem is, various Unix DHCP client daemons do *too much*.
All I want them to do is set the IP address, netmask, and gateway.
I *don't* want them to change the system hostname, or the system
resolv.conf (in which I have hand-placed *our* DNS search domain and
*our* DNS resolvers).

Well, making /etc/resolv.conf read-only, owned by root.root

... is just useless. resolv.conf is already owned by root, DCHP client daemons run as root and on Linux systems root (uid 0) ignores read/write permissions.

uninstalling resolvconf should also solve your problem.

No, it solves nothing. Without resolvonf the DHCP client will write directly in resolv.conf.

If you in this last (laptop) scenario need specific addition of your
static nameserver, on top of the DHCP nameservers (e.g. one
nameserver might resolve some internal names, the others might
recursively resolve internet names)

This does not work.
The resolver stops as soon as it receives a positive (record exists) or negative (record does not exist) answer. If it receives a negative answer from the first name server, it won't query the next name server.

All name servers declared in resolv.conf must be equal and provide the same answers, or unexpected behaviour will happen. Multiple name servers is only for redundancy and load balancing, not to provide different answers.