Re: BUG or OPERATOR error? - was [Re: Measuring aggregate internet useage?]

On Wed 26 Apr 2017 at 15:26:36 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 04/26/2017 10:02 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >But did /sbin/ifconfig work?
> >

> <chuckle> Had no reason to try.
> Whenever I come across a command that *SHOULD* work, but does not,
> the first diagnostic step is attempt to run the *IDENTICAL* command
> as root.
> In the *MAJORITY* of cases that it runs demonstrates that someone at
> sometime decided to restrict some computer owners from using their
> own computer in a reasonable manner.

Which merely begs the question. The meaning of "*should* work
as non-root" is defined by your workaround.

> Remember Linux borrows heavily from an OS designed in another era
> for a another audience. I have yet to run across a case where any
> distinction should be made between "user richard" and "user root". I
> do not take that as necessary and sufficient conditions to abolish
> questionable conventions. They might be occasionally valuable.

That's a nice explanation of why I wrote last year a sentence that
you didn't understand:

  The usefulness of many suggestions is limited, of course, by the OPs
  insistence that a horse and cart is driven through the unix security
  model merely because the OP never connects anything to the internet
  (which is insane).

I guess you were happier with DOS.

> In the age of laptops, tablets, and so-called "smart phones" I think
> the more relevant basic distinction would be between "physically
> local user" and "physically external user".

So how is anyone able to configure a computer for their naive family,
say, to use.

> Haven't yet figured out what to propose that wouldn't "throw baby
> out with the bath water".

The same answer, then, as I gave you for your proposed vague changes
to the man pages.

Cheers,
David.