Re: Dependency problem with virtualbox-guest-x11

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:46:06AM +0100, Hans wrote:
Dear maintainers,

since months in debian/testing the xserver-* packages cannot be updated as the
package virtualbox-guest-x11 inhibits the update due to the wrong
dependencies.

IMO it is not really a bug and maybe it could be fixed easily. The problem seem
to be the wrong xserver-*-abi. It would be nice if someone could check this.

Sorry to tell here, but reportbug at the moment is also not usable at the
moment (it crashes) This I will file on another way.

I found this out myself, recently, too. According to Bug #764466[1], virtualbox is being considered for removal from Debian because the upstream is opposed to Debian's inclusion of security patches. If Debian can't maintain the software for its long-term users, then it's not right to carry the software.

For now, the recommended solutions are to either switch to a hypervisor which is supported (e.g. KVM), or to install virtualbox-guest-iso, mount that, and run the vendor-supplied script.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794466

Thanks for reading this.

Best

Hans