Re: Do have programs have poor documentation? (was ... Re: Why? -- "A Modest Proposal")

Xen schreef op 01-01-2017 13:18:

"and that you wanted your specific solution laid out for you in the
man page instead of figuring it out yourself"

and "should abandon the noob mindset".

Those are just insults to begin with and they ARE ad hominems in actual fact.

And I just want to explain, even though no one listens to me anymore of course ;-).

When you are going to insinuate that I have a problem with man pages not because there is something wrong with the man pages, or some people's style in writing it (and I will repeat, certainly not all people, and you should be allowed to call peole out on their style of writing or to suggest or insist on improving it -- not in that order) --

If you are going to insinuate that I have a problem with man pages because I am a "noob".

Or that I am "lazy".

Which are my words to those sentences but I think they are accurate.

Then that is greatly disrespectful to begin with. You call me clown, yes I am certain that I am one. But it is not all that bad either, anyway.

What you are basically saying is that "Your arguments are flawed because you are a noob" and that IS an ad hominem.

I never said Catherine's arguments were flawed /because/ she was a woman ;-), or more appropriately here, just hitting the sore spot there a bit lol, my apologies, I never said they were flawed because they were insincere or something of that nature, or because she was being petulant or something of that nature.

But if you keep making the same arguments because of irritation. You disregard the arguments made by other people. Because they don't suit you. And if you also start to insult people based on their supposed "noobishness" which is all too common in these lands, I guess.

Then that quickly reveals that you have no arguments left in fact and you have lost the argument in actual fact.

The past is no reason to not change the present. The system is not designed in such a way as to not make tutorials better written, or to make man pages more tutorial like. It is not designed in such a way as to preclude man pages becoming more accessible if people choose to and want to.

The only question that remains is not whether it would be possible to improve man pages, but whether you want them to. And it is also not a question of whether I am capable of reading reference material or not, or something of the kind -- forgot my words there.

I am cold and hungry yes, sorry.

The only question is whether Catherine and the like would WANT man pages to be improved and she has said she doesn't want them to because they are fine, and that is fine. It is what one person wants or doesn't want. That is fine right.

And maybe I am beliggerent too because I keep annoying you with a certain something.

Catherine here and others like her think man pages are fine the way they are. I disagree. We can disagree on that.

But if the reason they are fine is that it precludes access to noobs, then I have a problem with that.