Cannot apt-add repository

When I try and add-apt-repository, I get the following:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:git-core/ppa
[sudo] password for srasku:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for srasku:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 11, in <module>
    from softwareproperties.SoftwareProperties import SoftwareProperties, shortcut_handler
ImportError: cannot import name 'shortcut_handler'

I am behind a proxy with the following environment variables configured:

NO_PROXY=localhost,127.0.0.0/8,::1
http_proxy=http://3.39.54.43:8080/
ftp_proxy=http://3.39.54.43:8080/
FTP_PROXY=http://3.39.54.43:8080/
ALL_PROXY=socks://3.39.54.43:8080/
all_proxy=socks://3.39.54.43:8080/
https_proxy=http://3.39.54.43:8080/
HTTPS_PROXY=http://3.39.54.43:8080/
no_proxy=localhost,127.0.0.0/8,::1
HTTP_PROXY=http://3.39.54.43:8080/

I suspect this is a proxy issue but I'm not certain.  Assuming it is:
- Can you run add-apt-respository behind a proxy?
- Is there a command line option to configure the proxy?  There's nothing in `man add-apt-repository`.

I am running Jessie.

Stephen Rasku
Linux Engineer
Wurldtech Security Technologies

Unsubscribe from our commercial electronic messages.
https://supportcentral.ge.com/esurvey/GE_survey/takeSurvey.html?form_id=18446744073709666319
Désabonner de nos messages électroniques commerciaux.
https://supportcentral.ge.com/esurvey/GE_survey/takeSurvey.html?form_id=18446744073709666263