Re: Iceweasel uses wrong charset

Hi there

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

This is happening only on local files? Perhaps FF is expecting that brain
damaged byte order mark to recognize the file as UTF-8?

When the data come over HTTP there are other out-of-band hints to communicate
the encoding.

Try editing the file with some Microsoft cra^H^H^H text editor and saving
as "Unicode": that might insert the BOM at the beginning.

Just a shot in the dark.

I actually thought about this. But it just seems crude;

vim some.txt
^vufeff<Enter>
<Esc>:wq<Enter>

It does work though.
But I want UTF-8 without a BOM. It is, after all, the default locale.
Is Firefox really this braindead?

Note: If you edit this again, vim doesn't show the BOM any more. It's there though.

Regards,
Rob