Sudo/root issues...

I know ive been asking alot of questions, but i do check debian.org files for documentation and howtos, only asking when something doesnt work or doesnt come up there...so, im setting up my new instal and wanted to make sure everything is upgraded and updated. Tried aptitude update and apt-get commands, they needed root access so i did sudo on them, put in my user pass and...i dont have sudo priveleges. I followed multiple documented ways to get sudo priveleges, i cant do anything from within my user to that extent (tried and falled with sudo adduser xxxxx sudo, and adding to group from within terminal, and cant read or write my sudoers readme) so i figured id log out again and try to log in as root, and am told im not able to log in as route. What can i do ??